Philip Harry Newman was the artist and designer used by Charles Edward Keyser when the church was restored in the 1890’s. He was used for both wall-paintings and stained glass windows. There are many examples of wall-paintings and stained glass within the church. The church underwent considerable restoration in the 1890s and with his knowledge of wall-paintings, Charles Keyser engaged Philip Newman to decorate the newly repaired areas of the church.
The two largest wall paintings are Christ in Majesty that covers the top half of the east wall and Solomon at the Temple in the centre of the north wall. There are many other paintings particularly in the vestry and on the arch into the Forster Chapel also known as the Lady Chapel.
Paintings by Philip Harry Newman in Aldermaston church of St Mary the Virgin.
Stained Glass by Philip Harry Newman in Aldermaston church of St Mary the Virgin.
Philip H. Newman has various attributions on the stained glass in the church. Most are signed with ‘del.inv’ meaning he designed and drew up the artwork for the window. Some also have ‘del. inv. pinxit’ meaning he also painted the glass as well as designed it.
For another example of his work follow this link to “Invaluable”