The footprint of St Mary’s, Aldermaston has changed throughout time. To show the progression of this old building a small video has been created, based on Alan Caiger-Smith’s original drawing.
Since the church was built in around 1150 there have been 3 major obvious extensions to the church. These occurred in the 13th, 14th/15th and 17th centuries. There may have been other major works on the church, for example, the Victorian renovation by Charles Edward Keyser, but these have not impacted the footprint.
This was a major extension to the church that saw it extended eastwards to accommodate a new chancel. It was also extended to the south with a new transept forming the Forster chapel.
A tower was added at the west end of the church. The original doorway was moved from the north wall of the church to become the main entrance through the tower to the nave. The lovely bird motifs on the column capitals of the door are also thought to be original 12th-century carvings.
The body of the church was also strengthened with buttresses supporting the east end of the church. This indicates that more load was placed on the walls at this time, suggesting that a new heavier roof was also added.
A chimney stack was also added.
A new vestry was added in the south-east corner of the church.